Who I am

My photo
Moncton, NB, Canada
Christ-follower. Husband. Dad. Worship Leader. Pastor. Musician.

Tuesday, June 2, 2009

1 John 4:1-3 - Spirit vs spirits

"Dear friends, do not believe every spirit, but test the spirits to see whether they are from God, because many false prophets have gone out into the world. This is how you can recognize the Spirit of God: Every spirit that acknowledges that Jesus Christ has come in the flesh is from God, but every spirit that does not acknowledge Jesus is not from God. This is the spirit of the antichrist, which you have heard is coming and even now is already in the world"

- 1 John 4:1-3



There are two significant things that qualify this verse in Catherine and I’s life right now. First, we are now in the process of trying to find a new care-provider for Noah. His current situation isn’t quite working and we were forced to find another babysitter for him in about 4 weeks time. Although a few different options came up for us, and we were stuck between two particular options which both had their pros & cons. Our first option was with a Christian lady with a good reputation but she lived on the opposite side of the city and it would require 40-45 minutes of extra driving each day. The other is also a lady with a good reputation and even though recommended to us by a Christian friend, she’s not a Christian. However, she lives only 2 minutes away from our house making it an easy drop-off each morning.

While Catherine and I were praying together for guidance on the subject, we were struck with the question of why God would provide us with a non-Christian option. I thought of this verse (which I read last week) and thought it prudent to see if this was in deed from Him. We concluded that God is not a God of confusion. I don’t believe He provides us with “options” or “doors” that are not from Him. I don’t believe he provides us with situations that can hurt us. Yes, he can often provide us with situations that challenge us and test our trust/faith, but none that will cause us harm. Conversely, maybe the “non-Christian” lady is an option where Catherine and I are provided with a “walk across the room” opportunity. While we still have not made any decisions, either way I believe we’ll be making the right decision by covering it in prayer.

The second situation that applies to some friends we have who are desperately seeking some spiritual enlightenment in their lives and in their relationship. First let me say that I’m all for that. I think it’s important. I love to see couples seeking God to spiritually rekindle their lives and have that affect the lives of others around them. However, they seem to have found an avenue to experience this spiritual awakening in a local church that is known to be very charismatic. There is, of course, nothing wrong with most charismatic churches; they’re subjective to the Christian’s beliefs and practices. However, I (personally) believe that some of the beliefs and practices at this church are not necessarily recognized by the Spirit of God. Conversely, I believe that there may be false prophets and practices that would not be blessed by God. That being said, I am not one to say what is and is not blessed and holy. However, I do believe that if they do not reflect or demonstrate that what is written in the Word and comes straight from the life of Christ, it is not and will be not be blessed nor Holy.

While I'm hesitant to step in and make my feelings known to these individuals, I must first seek it in prayer and I use this 1 John verse as a base. I'm also hesitant to call the people leading our friends astray "false prophets" because who am I to judge, but I do believe there are some "false teachings" being used including questionable prayer methods, assumed "spiritual gifts (like prophecy and tongues), and things like "spirit casting" being used without proper biblical structure by unauthorized layman. Scary stuff. Either way, I do not believe it is all the Spirit of God who is working within these people.

These spirits are not Spirit. It is a conflict of God's work and something we should always be aware of in an evil world. So, remember to make sure you recognize the Spirit of God when you are confronted with new spiritual ideas, when making decisions for yourself, and fully realize the power of God when you pray for His good and perfect will. Pray against false teachings, false prophets, and evil spirits that may surround you. Cover yourself in the Word and in prayer and He will defend you, guide you, teach you, and lead you in all ways holy.

No comments: