Who I am

My photo
Moncton, NB, Canada
Christ-follower. Husband. Dad. Worship Leader. Pastor. Musician.

Thursday, October 9, 2008

Art vs. Ministry

Art vs. Ministry

One of the things I’ve been struggling with over the past few months is God’s will for “vocation” in life. Ever since a small Canadian Nazarene youth conference (aptly name CYC) in Charlottetown, PEI in 2000, I’ve felt a strong call on my life for music ministry. I’ve never been shy to say that “music” is the only thing I do well. No, I’m not perfect; there’s lots to learn. In fact, I’m pretty sure I’ve unlearned a lot of things over the years, but I digress… But music is the one thing I want to do and can do. I’m not very computer literate, I can’t fix things, I’m in no physical shape to save people from burning houses, nor do I enjoy crunching numbers. I play guitar, sing (sort of), write music (sort of), and (maybe most importantly) immerse myself with music 24/7. It’s with me everywhere I go. Other than my relationship with God, my wife/son, and friends/family, music is one of the most important things in my life. Here’s where my “dilemma” comes in.

I’ve been trying to distinguish what part of “music” He wants me to follow. Part of me would like to continue the “passion” of becoming a touring/recording musician with a band. There’s enough talent around me to put a group together and start something worth-while. In fact, there’re a few individuals I’ve had initial conversations with about starting such a project. I love to collaborate with other musicians and, simply (or not so simply), create. Like a painter finishing up a landscape watercolor or a math teacher putting an A+ on a student’s report card, there’s a certain glory in knowing you’ve accomplished something you were built to do. I love to write music.
On the other hand… there are times that I feel that God is building me up for something else. Over the past 6 months or so, I’ve been giving numerous opportunities to lead worship at different events, churches, and venues. Though my experience with leading worship has been local at best, even leading worship at my home church challenges me and helps build my insecurities and abilities that need work.

So what do I do? Follow my passions and dreams or believe that those are changing for me and follow the road I didn’t expect? Do I keep following the desires of my heart (NLT) or do I assume the steps to a new direction are ordered by the Lord (KJV)? Either way, it’s a case of the well-driven-into-head-verse from Proverbs 3:6. "In all your ways acknowledge Him, and He shall direct your paths." I’ve always had trouble with this verse. Not trouble in believing it or trusting in it, but applying it and grasping it; especially when I’m confused by whether the desires of my heart are the desires of God’s heart as well. Sure, He and I can both agree on the fact that He has placed a passion in me to “do” music in a manner that gives all glory, honor, and praise to Him. I’m happy to do that. But in what venue and to what extent?

I had an interesting chat with my father-in-law over lunch the other day. We were talking about Worship Leaders vs. Christian/Worship Musicians. While he is (admittedly) no expert on the subject, he made a very valid point about musicians serving the “local” church. He believes there is this role that musicians must play in the lives of the local church. While the touring musician is entertaining, sometimes successful, and important to making Christ valid in people’s lives both the sacred and secular world, there is still this need for them to be involved in their local church. Christians are a missional people are called to go out into our communities and share the gospel. While we are also called to go “outwards”, dad was also saying that it is important to make asure we are doing our part to build up the local church in our own home. He mentioned Michael W. Smith. Sure, he has taken Christian music to another level over the years and is an accomplished song-writer & performer. But, when he’s not playing or on tour, he’s faithfully and attending and leading his home church. Then there’s Lincoln Brewster. He leads worship at his home church, but is also an accomplished performer and song-writer. Then there’s your Tomlin’s, Hughes’s, Redman, and Hillsong folk who make a living at writing, recording, and performing. I can’ say whether they contribute to their local churches or not (other than making the odd appearance and offering their craft as an offering), but are they artists or worship leaders? Yes, I believe you can be both. David Crowder leads worship at UBC in Waco, TX and I he is an artist. An artist who takes worship music and moulds it into something ‘different’, something ‘creative’. But, is one more noble than the other? Tim will tell, at least in my own life, though I do realize it’s subjective. But, tell me, what do you think? Art or Ministry?

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Great post. This has been on my mind for nearly the same length of time (since 2000). In the past several years I have had similar opportunities and try to wrap my head around my direction for the future. I don't wish to follow in someone else's footsteps....I am trying to believe I have a particular purpose on this earth.

It has been helpful to consider people you have mentioned (Brewster, Crowder, Smith, Tomlin...) and Paul Baloche has also been encouraging to me. He was the lead guitarist at his home church and his senior pastor lead worship. One service his pastor went to pray with people at the alter and asked Paul to step forward to lead. I heard this at a seminar with Baloche in 2004 and remember him joking of this voice quivering and being quiet nervous since he couldn't hind behind a leader, keep his mouth shut and just play tasty licks (he demonstrated a few).

He has been leading worship at his home church ever since, yet also writing, recording, touring, leading seminars, producing teaching DVD's, and various other art/ministries.

I guess there are several options....I am sure there is a particular placement for you (which is probably larger than we could dream up) and you already have particular resources and skills you are developing to accomplish many things. I will stop rambling....but maybe you could do it all, and more!