Who I am

My photo
Moncton, NB, Canada
Christ-follower. Husband. Dad. Worship Leader. Pastor. Musician.

Monday, October 6, 2008

Keep your stick on the ice.

HOCKEY!
It’s back. I love hockey. I played it when I was a kid although I wasn’t great. I was a forward most of my years, but I spent my last 2 seasons as a defenseman. I was taller than most players those days so it came more natural to me. One year, I was captain of my team. Ironically, I led the team in penalty minutes and 3rd in assists because I didn’t have much of a scoring touch. I had one heck of a slap-shot but no accuracy; it was pretty wild and often soared over the net. Sunny tells me to point the end of my blade downward in my follow-through… if only I’d known that 10 years ago maybe I’d be Dion Phaneuf’s partner on the Flames roster. Ok, maybe not, but I probably would have had a much better shot, tipped a few more pucks, and spent less time in the box if I had kept my stick down. You hear that a lot, eh? “Keep your stick on the ice”.

Somehow, that reminds me of something someone said this past week. Our church hosted “spiritual life week” this past week led by my friend’s dad, Rev. David Filsinger. Using Matthew 14 as his text, Pastor Dave talked about “getting out of the boat” like Peter did. He, willingly, stepped out of the boat after witnessing Jesus walk on water and trusted Jesus enough to put his own feet on the ice… or water… whatever. More accurately, he talked about letting go and stepping out of our own skin when we’re seeking a renewed heart & relationship with God. Even more accurately, “keep your stick on the ice and good things will come”. This spoke miles to me. While I’m always open for God to change some things in my life, there’re things in my life keeping me from those changes. How can we justify letting bad habits and built walls keep us from experiencing what God has for us? Getting out of the boat is not easy. Trusting Him to allow us to do things that are unimaginable, miraculous, or even mundane, is not easy. Forgiveness, trust, faith, and leaving our level of comfort are things easier said than done. But why is it that Christians can’t “just do it”, as the Nike ad says. We’ve been reminded and reminded again that when we trust and obey, then we benefit from what God wants for us. His blessings are undeniable. Yet, we still fall short of His plan when we fail to see (or follow) the direction planed out for us. When we stay in the boat, we are missing out in great changes and blessings He desires for us.
So, when’re planted in front of the net, we are promised good things when we keep our stick on the ice. Never mind the guy chopping at your calves or crosschecking you in the unpadded small of your back. Dig your skates in, keep your blade on the ice, and things are goals are bound to happen. We often hear God as being our “defender”. So, with Jesus as our “defenseman”, so to speak, who can come against us? After all, Jesus saves.


*groan

No comments: