Who I am

My photo
Moncton, NB, Canada
Christ-follower. Husband. Dad. Worship Leader. Pastor. Musician.

Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Digital vs. Analog: Part 2

So, I’ve been reading reviews on the G-System and watching multiple YouTube videos, I was semi-happy with what I saw. Although the G-system is laid out really well, really slick looking, built like a tank (including a video of someone running over it with a tank and, although it’s majorly bent, still works) and gives you the integrity to use the dirt-boxes & amp channels you know and love, it has no drives, preamps, or amp/cab sims, Which is ok with me because I’d use my amp channel and FDII for all my dirt sounds anyway.

But, in my search, I kept bumping into a rivalry between the G-System and the rack-mountable Fractal Audio AxeFX. It wasn’t the first I’ve heard of it, however. My good friend, Tim Heerebout, owns an AxeFX. While Tim and I have some different musical tastes and tone preferences, we’re both gear-pigs and are always looking for the ultimate setup for tone. And, although Tim is always trying to convince me that the gear he owns is the best, his gear changes more than mine does. That being said, I can’t argue with Tim or the hullabaloo that people are making about this product. Tim has been raving about it for months now. The amp and cab sims are in a class of their own and rise above anything I’ve ever heard. Even just listening to this youtube video of a guy ripping off The Edge’s tone by playing a number of U2 riffs:

There’s a pristine quality to the tone. And, more importantly, sounds exactly like I imagine it would live. I hear it’s unlike any other kind of “multi-effects unit” out there and is a cut above the rest, even the TC Electronic, Eventide, and Lexicon rack units. Although it’s a bit more complicated and impractical to use as a live rig (you would need a rack case, midi controller, and bypass-loop/switching unit for any other stomp boxes you might want to incorporate), you don’t even necessarily need an amp to run it. The AxeFX can run direct into a PA system and still have the exact same sound & tone due to its integrated PC and relays.

Again, I’m stuck with the problem of not being able to try one out as I’m sure there’s no one in my area that’s rocking one of these puppies. However, my ever-so-convincing friend Tim has offered to send his down for a test-run if I’m serious into buying one. While I may take him up on the offer, I’m still in no rush to get rid of my pedalboard that I’ve been building up for years. Time will tell, I s’pose.

No comments: