Who I am

My photo
Moncton, NB, Canada
Christ-follower. Husband. Dad. Worship Leader. Pastor. Musician.

Saturday, November 22, 2008

Christmas List

Every kid writes a Christmas List to give to their parents in hopes that'll make it's way to Santa (or the local Futureshop representative). I don't get Sears' annual "WishList" catalog anymore so I can cricle the thigns I want with highlighter, so here’s my Christmas list for this year. I’ll follow up on it after ward:

Jamie's Christmas Wish-List:
iPod Touch
MacBook Pro
Calgary Flames jersey (#3 Phaneuf customization optional)
Calgary Flames to win Stanley Cup
42" LCD HDTV (preferably, wall-mountable)
Dwight Schrute Bobblehead
Jesus Christ Bobblehead
"Guitar Hero: World Tour" for Wii
The Force Unleashed for Wii
Mario Kart for Wii
NHL2K9 for Wii
world peace
Wall-E DVD
The Dark Knight DVD
Gone Baby Gone DVD
John Mayer: Where the Light Is DVD
Crossroads: Guitar Festival 2007 DVD
David Crowder Band: Remedy Club Tour
Trip to Hawaii
Plain black zip-up hoodie
Catalinbread Ottava Magus






One of my favorite things about Christmas when I was a kid was making a Christmas list. It’s like an adult buying a 649 ticket and just imagining the possibilities (enter “million-dollar happy dance” here). Most of my wish-list when I was kid consisted of some very extravagant things like an electric Jeep and the deed to Legoland. But I was often disappointed when I would open boxes of white socks, underwear, and knit-sweaters; things my mother said I “needed”.
As I’ve grown older, though I still want that deed, I noticed that my Christmas lists still aren’t reflecting things that I need. Instead, I noticed that it’s filled with electronic devices that would be obsolete as soon as plug it in, movies that will be watched a few times before they begin to collect dust, and unrealistic hopes. The fact is, I actually do need a few pairs of white socks, underwear, and a sweater or two (no wool, please). I have debt I need to pay off (not add onto), a 200 gallon oil tank that needs to be kept filled so we can keep warm, and a son growing out of his clothes faster than Oprah at a buffet.


Needless to say, I don't put so much faith in my Christmas lists anymore. Why? Multiple reasons:
1) Catherine and I decided not to exchange gifts anymore? Why? multiple reasons:
a) we don't have the money
b) we have each other (thank you Santa?)
c) we get to spend a little money on Noah
2) Our parents bless us with so much throughout the year, that we couldn’t possibly ask anything more of them
3) All my 'wants' are too expensive and material. Instead, "trip to Hawaii" becomes "boxer/briefs with no holes"
4) I've lost faith in Santa’s H0H 0H0 postal code

I was reading on a Christmas-justice organization called The Advent Conspiracy the other day. The Advent Conspiracy is an attempt to make Christmas a "world-changing event again by turning our focus back to the birth of Christ". They encourage participants to "trade our season of stress for a season celebration and unbelievable memories with your friends and family" while also helping out those in need in our communities. How do they do this? They have 4 tasks they practice:
- Worship Fully: the story of Jesus means entering a season of overwhelming passion to worship Jesus
- Spend Less: buy ONE LESS GIFT this Christmas. many who have taken this small sacrifice have been more available to celebrate Christ during the advent season
- Give More: it’s time to make love visible through relational giving. Sounds a lot better than getting a sweater two sizes too big, right
- Love All: by spending less at Christmas we have the opportunity to join Him in giving resources and time to those who need help the most.

I encouraged my pastor a few other church-leaders to really look into this organization as a means to get the church involved in Christmas of a different kind; love of another kind. One of less “wanting” and “wishing” with more “needing”, “giving” and “loving’. I dare you.

1 comment:

Eric Williston said...

All I can say after reading your "Christmas List" blog is "wow". I was blown away (in a good way) by what you said Jamie. It is really making me think about Christmas and how commercial it has become. You are wise beyond your years young man and I thoroughly enjoy taking in what you have to say in all of your posts.

Over and out.