Who I am

My photo
Moncton, NB, Canada
Christ-follower. Husband. Dad. Worship Leader. Pastor. Musician.

Monday, November 3, 2008

Art vs. Ministry: Part 2 (?)

Last night, I was in Truro, NS where I got the chance to lead a worship event with some friends. Though not too many folks came out and the response seemed a bit sparse (at least from my view), it went well and we (the band) had a good time playing. It was a good (read humbling) experience and I’m glad we got to expand some people’s worship experience. The highlight for me, though, may have been the conversation on the drive home. We (Pyke & Jamie Sutherland) talked a little bit about the ”art vs. ministry” dilemma that I blogged about a few weeks ago. We also talked about passion as musicians and when one’s hope of becoming a rock n’ roll star becomes a passing dream. Jamie (Sutherland) said something really interesting during our conversation:
“I’m 3_ years old (you’re welcome, Mr. Sutherland) and I still have those dreams being at playing music for a living. But, even though I’ve come to grips with the fact that that is probably not going to happen, I believe that those dreams eventually come to fruition in one way or another. Why else would God promise us the desires of our heart?”
Well, I’m only 25 so I’m sure I’ve still got lots of years before my hopes & dreams are totally behind me but, at least for me, it feels like my chances have come and gone. Until the “desires of my heart” change, I still have hopes of being a vocational musician. I feel like I’ve got a lot of creative input that needs to come out of my head and I hope to find the right people to share that with. This leads me to another interesting conversation I had this past week…
I had a unsuspected/encouraging chat with a friend this past week who was probing me (not physically) about my musical endeavors (or lack thereof). He assured me that I should need to find a group of guys that share the same musical grasp, talent, and style as me and that I could make something of what I’ve got. Ok, maybe he didn’t use as many words, but he was encouraging me to find my own musical output and keep searching for a musical vehicle to transport some creativity.
Well, I plan on it.
I’m getting together with some buds this weekend and we’re gonna jam around. That’s always fun whether anything comes of it or not.

1 comment:

timheerebout said...

Hey Jamie,

I just wanted to share the most helpful thing I've ever been taught about "the desires of my heart". There are two things to see here. First, the full verse says "Delight yourself in the Lord and he will give you the desires of your heart". See here the promise is conditional... delight yourself in the Lord THEN he will give you the desires of your heart. Second, when we delight ourself in the Lord, follow Him, find life's meaning in Him, then our desires change from those of our flesh to those of the spirit. God gives us those desires because they are His desires.

So, as you seek the desires of your heart and process these things there are two probing questions we should all ask ourselves: 1) Am I delighting in the Lord and 2) Are my desires His desires.

I hope this doesn't come across as me judging your state. Rather, I hope you see a brother in Christ hoping to be helpful through the Word.