Who I am

My photo
Moncton, NB, Canada
Christ-follower. Husband. Dad. Worship Leader. Pastor. Musician.

Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Losing a Legend: the iPod Photo

I’ve never been shy to say that music is a big part of my life. I live it, eat it, breathe it, and sleep it. It’s the “universal language”, so to speak. My wife bought me a used iPod for our first Christmas in 2005. I can say it may have been the most valuable gift I’ve ever received from anyone. She bought it used, it was a bit scuffed up, but it’s served me faithfully for 3 years. It followed me everywhere I went, whether in the car or at work; kind of like a pet. iPet? Anywho… yesterday, at work, my iPod died. I used it everyday at work and it runs about 3-4 hours at my desk in my little iBlaster speaker thingy. It was working fine in the morning until it started making some odd noises. No, I wasn’t listening to Radiohead, it was an internal noise that sounded like an old PC trying to load. Finally, it froze the iPod and when I went to reboot it, an icon of a “sad” iPod came up:

Sad iPod told me to go here: here and proceeded to inform me that my iPod was having a hardware issue. Well, that’s nice. At least my iPod is smart enough to tell me when’s sick and too old to continue pumping out my jams.

So, now I am on the lookout for a new iPod. These little machines have come a long way since the iPod Photo came out 5 or 6 years ago so I have the choice of getting the sexy, sleek looking iPod Touch with all of its abilities and tricks or pay tribute to the classic, tough, sturdy, and oh-so-plentiful 120G of memory an iPod Classic has come standardized with. There’s also about $150 between the price considering I’d need more than 8G or 16G of memory to even consider an iTouch (I’ve got about 13G of music alone). So, a new debate arises: to touch or not to touch?

3 comments:

Max02 said...

I'm sorry your iPod died. I guess it happens to many over long periods of time.

I don't like Macs. It's a personal preference, I guess. I also don't like iPods. I think, like Macs, they're way too not into sharing with other software (completely forgot the word for that). Which is also why I don't like iTunes.

On the flip side, there aren't that many companies putting out a product that can rival all the cool things iPods can do. Sony Walkman has some pretty decent mp3 players, but I don't know of any that do half of the things iPods can do nowadays.

Personally, I'd go for the iTouch. It's so futuristic.

Anonymous said...

The Touches are nice, but I'd get a shell for it. I can't stand a pretty little iPod turn into a smudgy hunk of hand grease and fingerprints, but I'm OCD like that.

JamCam said...

Yeah, I hear ya on the smudges.
I had an iSkin for my iPod and you can't even see fingerprints on it!
I've got a lead on a guy selling his 32G Touch for $250 so I'm going to follow up on that.