Who I am

My photo
Moncton, NB, Canada
Christ-follower. Husband. Dad. Worship Leader. Pastor. Musician.

Saturday, March 7, 2009

Pipe Dreams/Guitar Solo of the Week

When JSB were rehearsing for our recent Texas trip, we (somehow) got into the habit of ending our practices with doing covers of Tragically Hip songs. After much deliberation, we presumed that we sounded so good that if the worship thing didn't work out for us, we'd become a bar band that does covers. Those bands can make good money doing just that; copying/slaughtering others peoples' songs. Fun.
But, if I'm being honest, I've always had smalltime dreams of being in a blues/jazz trio or quartet that just jam for fun. Of course, I have not developed a talent that's anything close to a professional (or semi-professional) jazz guitar player. I have, however, played with some friends in Calgary who could (and have) done well for themselves playing at local bistros, bars, and small clubs.
While I was living in Calgary going to school, I played with some guys who taught me so much about music. Not only that, but they taught me to love music of all varieties. And, though my knowledge of music theory was limited, they all made sense of theory to me. Despite the fact that these three guys were far beyond the proficiency of their instrument than I was (and am), they still pulled me along, encouraged me, and made me love music. Those guys were Justin Kudding (bass), Brendan Waters (keys), and Nate Northridge:


We always joked around about starting our on band, but of course that never happened and I moved back home to New Brunswick. Those guys are still around, playing with whomever, and are becoming quite the session/live players around Calgary. Those three were the guys that I've always wanted to jam & play with. I always thought it'd be so cool to just play at any small venue that'd take us and just enjoy playing music together. I was scanning YouTube today and found these videos with Lee Ritenour (guitar), Marcus Miller (bass), and George Duke (keys), and Vinnie Colaiuta and thought about Justin, Brendan, and Nate, how much I missed playing with them, learning from them, hearing them, and (most importantly) how much I missed their friendship. So, this clip is for them and you to enjoy:


No comments: