Who I am

My photo
Moncton, NB, Canada
Christ-follower. Husband. Dad. Worship Leader. Pastor. Musician.

Friday, June 5, 2009

1 John 1:5-7 - Light


"This is the message we have heard from him and declare to you: God is light; in him there is no darkness at all. If we claim to have fellowship with him yet walk in the darkness, we lie and do not live by the truth. But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus, his Son, purifies us from all sin."

- 1 John 1:5-7






"I want to be in the light/as you are in the light/I want to shine like the stars in the heavens/oh Lord be my light/and be my salvation/because all I want to be is in the light"


When I first became a Christian, one of my favorite Christian bands to listen to was dc Talk. Believe it or not, I wasn't a huge fan of the song "Jesus Freak"; rather, the rest of the "Jesus Freak" album had a big impact on me. One of the songs that I loved to listen to was "In the Light" and the above video is from the dc Talk's "Welcome to the Freakshow" VHS from way back when. "In the Light" was one of those songs that I'd sing amongst friends with acoustic guitars around a camp fire. I have great memories doing that. I'm sure this song stems from the 1 John verses above about being in Christ's light.

There's a reason why horror/thriller/suspense movies are filmed primarily at night. 'Darkness' or any 'absence of light' cast a shadow (figuratively speaking) on all things good and pure. We expect bad, scary, negative, disheartening things to happen when we can't see the full picture or see what is hidden from us. Conversely, in the light we are sure of what we see and know what we're given in front of us. Christ was a light we were open to see. He lead a sinless life; there was no darkness in him. Therefore, there was nothing hidden from us and we were given full access to who he was, who he is, and what he's done. If we say we are a follower of Christ, yet do not reflect his light or wallow in darkness, we are not fully his; we are not followers. Christ's light is so bright, so blinding, that it has become hot enough to burn all sin and shame from our lives. Yet, if we put on our son-glasses (see what I did there with the word sun/son?), we are deliberately shielding ourselves from complete redemption and letting datrkness enter us in some way or another. We need to make sure to be in his light, being open and honest, loving and compassionate, righteous and just. Walking in his light causes us to never stray from his path; we see where we're going at all time.

So, with that being said, I leave you with a more recent favorite song of mine from song-writer/worship-leader Robbie Seay (pronounced "sea", not "say") called "Shine Your Light on Us".



"Oh, my God/Shine Your light on us/That we might live
Shine Your light/Shine it down/Let Your rescue come for us, we long to love
And if you feel lost, sing along"

No comments: