Who I am

My photo
Moncton, NB, Canada
Christ-follower. Husband. Dad. Worship Leader. Pastor. Musician.

Thursday, June 11, 2009

If I were in a cover band...

Catherine and I cancelled out cable a few months back and I must say I do miss it. However, in lieu of less TV, we've been able to talk more, pray more, and spend more time together. Although I do feel I've been missing out on things, I guess youtube, blogs, and online-news reels cover most of the important things I've been missing.

I only found out a few weeks ago that Jay Leno was moving to daytime and Conan O'Brien was replacing with on the Tonight Show. Oh, how I miss both Jay and Conan (and Letterman's Top 10 Lists). During Conan's opening week, he had John Mayer Trio on as his musical guests. JM3 did a cover of "The Mamas and the Papas" song California Dreaming. And, wow. It's pretty tight and has a really cool arrangement.





It's not the type of song you can really see someone turn into a blues-rock cover, but it works and maintained that familiar 70's groove. So, I thought to myself, if I was in a band (I wish I was), what songs would I want to revamp and cover? well, a la David Letterman, here's my Top 10 songs to cover

1) O My God by The Police - asks some great spiritual questions and cool double-time groove
2) For Once in my Life by Stevie Wonder - I'd slow it down and put a slower groove to it
3) Something by The Beatles - great version on the "Across the Universe" soundtrack that I'd steal from
4) Recovering the Satellites by Counting Crows - great vocals and lots of room for musical expressions
5) Mind's Eye by dc Talk - awesome riff, U2-esque chorus, and great lyrics
6) Paranoid Android by Radiohead - ok, well, maybe not the whole song because Radiohead are practically musical geniuses, but I'd want use 3:38-6:27 and incorporate it into some kind of worshipful interlude (realizing, of course, that the song IS NOT intended for that).
7) Until the End of the World by U2 - I know that you can't really cover a U2 song, but with some ideas and different groove, I think this could be a really cool cover
8) God's Gonna Cut You Down by Johnny Cash - the weird thing about this song is that it's so simple and so cut-and-dry that it's hard to cover it; any deviation from Johnny's baritone vocals or even the melody may take away from its originality. There's opportunity for cool arrangements, though.
9) If I Ever Lose My Faith In You by Sting - of course you can spiritualize this song, but if you listen to the version from the "All This Time" cd, there's a really cool groove and rendition to build off of to make this a cool cover song
10) You by Marvin Gaye - I heard a version of Marvin Gaye's "Inner City Blues" done by John Mayer that had a really cool modern vibe to it; I'd love to do a similar spin on this great Gaye tune (lol). Some good spiritual overtones too.

what songs would you like to cover?

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Jamie!!!! It's Chris Marshall the Newfie who went to your high school! I was thinking about things...well i guess everyone thinks about "things" don't they. Anyway I was having a moment i guess you would say where i was missing the lack of responsibilities that high school students have. then I started thinking about high school and then i started thinking about people who attend those high school's. (you, me, people, etc...)
I realized that I haven't really kept in touch with a lot of people since i got back on my own island. (I say that as if I'm like the guy on braveheart who thinks he owns Ireland). How have you been? What are you doing? I saw on your Blog you have a Little Fella now, CONGRATS!. anyway, how can I get in touch with you...I'm one of the most technologically inadvanced people on this side of the year 1232 so i don't even have facebook...yet...shocking I know.
Are you playing? Working? both?
Let me know how life has treated you since i've spoken to you last.
when I hear from you I'll let you know what songs I'd play if i was in a cover band...well, I am in a coverband...sigh thats what my musical career has amounted to...

JamCam said...

Wow, what's going on man?
It HAS been a long time. Good to hear from you. I find it funny that of all places you use my blog to find me. Weird.

Anywho... you can reach me jcambers@gmail.com for a more consistent reply/conversation.

Yeah, Catherine and I have been married for 4 years now and have a 1-yr old. Time flies when you're having fun, I guess.

Anywho... drop me an email (or, drop me your email) and I'll let you know what's going on with me and all that stuff.

Great to hear from you, man.
Acheron forever.

Jamie