Who I am

My photo
Moncton, NB, Canada
Christ-follower. Husband. Dad. Worship Leader. Pastor. Musician.

Thursday, June 18, 2009

Pedalboard Renovation

Size matters, right? That's what they've always said but I don't buy it. Although, judging from the size of the pedalboards I've had over the past 8 years or so, you could certainly deduct that I believe it to be true. Ever since I started playing guitar about 12 years ago (geesh... I'm getting old) I've been fascinated with gadgets and stomp-boxes of all kinds for making unique, pure, and ambient guitar sounds; not to mention the guitarists constant search for the tone. I've had some gems and some lumps of coal over the years, yet I find I'm really finding my favorite sounds in some of the pedals I'm now using. I recently got a bonus from work and my wife gave me permission to use some of it to replace and upgrade some of my current pedals:

1) Digitech Whammy 4 - this pedal is, of course, most known for its use by players like Tom Morello and Joe Satriani. On its most useful setting, you play a note (or more, if you're brave) and kick the treadle forward to ascend the note one (or two) octaves up. Although it doesn't find much use when I'm playing lead in worship, it can create some unique chorus sounds, pitch-changes, harmony bends, and creative lead sounds. I recently sold my old, squeaky, wobbly, input-frtizy whammy and bought a brand new one. It's shiny and red.

2) Ibanez Ts9 w/ 808 Mod - The onyl pedals that have constantly been chaning on my board are drive pedals. I've missed my modded Ibanez TS9 (a staple in light-overdrives), so I decided to trade an old-school version of the Fulltone Fulldrive II for a modded TS9 to a guy here in town. While my Mosfet Fulltdrive has a great medium-gain rhythm sound with gain/mid-boost on the 2nd channel, I wanted a drive that'd do a slightly overdriven sound/clean boost and a modded TS9 is one of the best in the business (imo). Welcome home Tube Screamer.

3) Catalinbread Ottava Magus - this tiny little pedal is pretty fraggin' sweet. It's tiny, but has got some big volume capabilities. It's a copy of the "octave-up" fuzz that Hendrix, Satriani, and Robin Trower get a lot of use out of. It's always been one of my favorite tones and this one soudns especially good before another overdrive pedal. It gives me that octave tone without beeing too "fuzzy" and tgives a great lead boost as well. And, since the pedal is so tiny, it fits well ib my cramped custom pedalboard.

4) Electro-Harmonix MicroPOG - there was a guy who was selling his EHX POG locally for a great price and I coudln't pass up the offer. I was absolutely impressed with the POG's capabilites and sounds. Essentially, you can make use of it's 1 or 2 octavess down/1 or 2 octaves up sounds and get unique instument sounds. From a 12-string guitar, a 4 or 12 string bass, and even an oscillating church organ and POG's soudns are endless and it tracks chords amazingly. Unfortuneatly, the POG is a giant pedal and it coudl not fit on my board. So, opting out of selling me equally-sized EHX Memory Man to fit the POG, I decided to sell it (and in turn made profit) and bought a MicroPOG which was similar sounds, but isn't nearly as capable of as many soudns. But, it still emulates a bass guiar, 12-string, and (for what I want it for) a church-organ sound. It replaces my seldom-used MicroVibe and should give me some great chord and tone options.

So, those are my new and upgraded pedals. Here is my current pedal lineup and pic of my board:
Line 6 DL4 -> pretty much every worship guitar players delay staple since you can store 3 delays and have tap-tempo capabilities
Electro Harmonix Deluxe Memory Man -> this has become my staple for getting that .1/8("dotted eight") delay that The Edge makes so popular. Not only that, but I also use it for that pure analog "ambient" sound by turning up the repeat feedback and delay volume down
Fulltone Fulldrive II -> see above
Fulltone Fulldrive II (Mosfet) -> see above
Catalinbread Ottava Magus -> see above
MXR Dyncomp -> probably not my first choice of compressor (I'd love to have Keeley's 4-knob compressor), but I find this far better than most other non-boutique comps I've tried and they're at a great price. I use this particularly when playing with single coils, need a squashed sound, or need some really long sustain
pedalboards.com True Bypass Loop (Tuna Melt, Wah, Whammy) ->
Danelectro Tuna Melt -> I have some subtle tremolo in my amp head, but the Tuna Melt has a great "stutter" tremolo sound which casues for some neat sound. I don' use it often, but it's cheap and small
Digitech WHammy IV -> see above
Crybaby 535 Wah -> everyone has a wah in their setup. Not onyl are they graet for sols, but they give you different rhythm options when they're used as frequency gate(see Dire Straights "Money or Nothing" or Wide Mouth Mason's "Alright, Alright", "Once You Got It", or "Fa Na Na")
EHX MicroPOG -> see above
Boss TU2 -> the tuner everyone uses who don't want to pay for a Peterson Strobostomp

I hope to post some audio clips sooner or later. Here's a pic of my current board.







2 comments:

Max02 said...

Nice!

Honestly, I don't know half of what you're talking about, but it sounds awesome.

I play acoustic, so I haven't ventured into that realm of crazyness that is the sound of an electric guitar player. Although I have been giving serious thought into getting into it.

Have you ever used pedals for an acoustic guitar? Would you recommend it? Or would it be better to make a switch to electric?

JamCam said...

Some people use some pedals for acoustic.
I really depends on what style you play and what you're looking for. For example, if you're simply a "strum" player and are just strumming along to a song, there isn't much a pedal can do to enhance that; unless, you're really tone picky and want to use a compressor of some sort.

Now, if you're doing a lot of arpeggios/picking or finger-picking, some delay or reverb pedals will add some really great sound & tone to your acoustic.